Monday, March 28, 2016

Infertility: Embrace the Now

Be warned...I'm about to get real.  As I write about infertility my hope and prayer is to expose you to the real gut pain that is happening to so many couples.  I can only share with you my experience, but my prayer is that if you are currently in the middle of infertility you can find hope in that you are not alone.  If you are just reading this blog, my prayer is that your heart becomes more tender to the pain of infertility.


About year 3 into our infertility I decided that I would not allow my pain to consume my life.  I decided that if I couldn't bear my own child, I would invest in those around me.  Being in youth ministry and my friends having children, kids were everywhere.  

What did I do?  Invested in teens, my friends kids, etc.  I spent my time and energy with them.  I showered them with all the love that I would shower on my own kids.  I taught them about God and how he has a plan for all of us, etc.

I was reminded of the story of Esther and how Mordecai encouraged her to take advantage of the situation she was in "For such a time as this.."  I realized that right now I was given a gift of few responsibilities and to take advantage of it.

As I previously mentioned, I invested in students and children.  But I also invested in my marriage and friends.  My husband and I traveled around the world on mission trips together.  We took vacations, we saw a ton of movies, we laughed and played games.  We embraced life as we knew it.  I would often find myself grabbing a chai with friends.  I surrounded myself with those I loved.

Sometimes I miss those days.  I'd love to say to my husband, "hey this weekend, let's go to Chicago!"  But I wouldn't trade my crazy family for anything.

So in your waiting, what can you invest in?

Embrace the now.

No comments: