Thursday, June 02, 2011

Lessons From My Friends: Giving

I can't think of a better person to start this series than the one and only Katie Weiss. Let me give you a little background on our relationship. We were roommates for 2 years in college, so we've been friends for like 13+ years. We have seen each other at our best and worst.

It is fun being friends with a friend so long because you can see so much of their life. Katie has deep character and a joyful fun spirit. I always feel encouraged after spending even 5 minutes with her.

The lesson I have learned from her is on giving. Katie is an amazing giver. Whether it is of her time, her possessions or her money, she gives without hesitation. She shares well.

Katie isn't the richest person, however she does believe what she has is a gift from God. It's God's really. So if He challenges her to give, of course she will give. If someone she loves needs something, she gives freely.

I have learned a lot from her. Early in my adult life, I held on tightly to my possessions and money as if they were mine. But after watching her give so generously, how can I not follow suit.

She is passing this trait to her 2 kiddos. I see the same giving spirit in them as I see in her.

She has inspired me. She has changed my life. I am forever grateful to her.

Katie really lives like the early church, pretty cool I think!


The following happened just after the early church received the Holy Spirit.

Acts 4:32-35 "All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need."

WAY TO GO KATE!

I'M SO PROUD TO CALL YOU MY FRIEND!




(the pic above: one of the many weird things we do together. Kristy Mikel is sandwiched between us)

No comments: